When I was an editor at Glamour back in the early 90s, way before juicing was a thing, I received a juicer as a gift from a makeup company. Maybelline, I believe. I'm guessing they were promoting some "natural" beauty collection and their clever PR person probably came up with the idea. I began making my own carrot juice soon after and would mix it with freshly squeezed orange juice. It's still one of my favorite drinks. It's only been in the past few years that I started making green juice. It took some getting used to, but I've learned to love the grassy flavors. And the color is fantastic. I came across this Green Juice recipe on Heidi Swanson's Instagram and gave it a try. It's earthy and tangy and full of ingredients that I always have on hand. I started my day off with it and probably should have taken Heidi's advice to make a big batch and refrigerate the leftovers for tomorrow. Oh well. Next time.
- 2 to 3 kale leaves, to taste
- Large handful of spinach
- 1 head romaine
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small bunch of parsley, trimmed
- 1/2 lemon, peeled, deseeded
- 1/2 lime, peeled, deseeded
- 1 1-inch cube of peeled ginger
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled
- Combine the above ingredients in juicer. Serve.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in an air-tight container for the next morning or two.