I love salads. We eat one nearly every night after dinner; and in the summer, we'll sometimes eat two or more a day, with lunch on the porch typically comprised of an assortment of salads. This Genius Kale Salad recipe is from Food52 Genius Recipes cookbook by way of fave food blog, 101 Cookbooks. The version here was made with grilled asparagus, but I also love to make it with roasted squash or sweet potatoes. And while the recipe is intended for two, I've been known to consume the entire bowl myself. It's that good!
- 1/2 cup peeled, cubed kabocha butternut, or other winter squash (or I like sweet potato), or chopped asparagus
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch kale (lacinato or dinosaur kale), ribs removed, leaves finely sliced, about 2 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup almonds, cut roughly in half
- 1/4 cup crumbled or finely chopped good, aged cheddar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Pecorino or any other hard cheese, for shaving
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the squash cubes (or, in this case, asparagus) in just enough oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Spread on the baking sheet, leaving space between each piece. Roast in the oven until tender and caramelized, 30-40 minutes, tossing with a spatula every 10 to 15 minutes. Toast the almonds on a baking sheet in the same oven until they start to smell nutty, tossing once, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the kale with the almonds, cheddar and squash (or sweet potatoes or asparagus), Season to taste with lemon juice and olive oil (using about 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons oil). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad between two places or shallow bowls. Garnish with shaved Pecorino cheese and serve.
Adapted from Food52 Genius Recipes: 100 Recipes that will Change the Way you Cook by Kristen Miglore.