Egg salad sandwiches will forever remind me of my mom. She loves egg salad and can whip it up with her eyes closed. The only thing I'm adding to her recipe is chopped chives. This bread (Eli's Health Loaf, which is always in my house) was pre-sliced, so it's a little thicker than it should be for this sandwich. But its whole grains and seeds make for the perfect pairing with this subtle, crunchy egg salad.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 celery stalks, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Handful of washed lettuce
- Bread of your choice
- Carefully place the eggs in a pot of cold water, making sure they are well covered (by at least a half inch of water). Bring to a gentle boil.
- Turn off the heat once the water boils and let the eggs set for 7-8 minutes.
- Drain water and immediately rinse eggs with ice cold water. When the shells are cool to the touch, transfer eggs to a bowl of ice cold water for a minute or so.
- Crack and peel the eggs and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mayo, salt and pepper and mash gently with a large fork (or a potato masher, as my mom does). Stir in the celery. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Place lettuce on bread, top with egg salad, chives and top with second slice of bread.