I hadn't intended to make this week about on-the-go breakfast ideas. But when I came across these tempting Raw Breakfast Bites on The Elysian Edit, I couldn't resist. In fact, before I even finished reading the recipe, I was in my kitchen rifling through cabinets to ensure I had all of the necessary ingredients. Equipped with all, I immediately grabbed a bowl and started measuring and mixing and forming the darling oat dollops. I could barely wait the two hours of fridge time before trying one. They are HEAVENLY! What will be even more heavenly is if my girls will eat these for breakfast before school. I will probably play around and add some finely chopped dried fruit or nuts, coconut flakes, etc. in a future batch. Then I'll need to freeze some and ship them off to Max at Oxy. He will love these--morning, noon and night!
Note: I start by using 2 cups of rolled oats and if the batter feels too wet, I'll add the additional 1/3 cup.
Makes 20 balls
- 2 1/3 cups rolled oats
- 4 heaping tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 3 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Flax seeds for rolling (I used ground flax seed)
- Use a large mixing bowl to combine all ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula until a sticky batter forms.
- With hands thoroughly washed, form mixture into 1" diameter balls.
- Roll each ball through a plate of flax seeds to cover each side (just one layer is ideal), and set on a baking sheet or cutting board lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hourse and serve. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.